Internships & Openings
Time Required: 15-30 minutes, depending on the size and speed of the group
Group Size: 8-200
Purpose: Team building, problem solving skills, communication
- If the group is really big, split them up into smaller groups. If there are too many people in a human knot it becomes extremely difficult. Groups of 10-12 are ideal.
- Arrange group members in a circle, standing shoulder to shoulder.
- Tell everyone to put their right hand up in the air, and then grab the hand of someone across the circle from them.
- Everyone then puts their left hand up in the air and grabs the hand of a different person.
- Check to make sure that everyone is holding the hands of two different people and that they are not holding hands with someone directly next to them.
- Tell group members to untangle themselves to make a circle without breaking the chain of hands.
- If group members break the chain they need to start over.
- You can give teams a time limit on this activity to make it more challenging.
- You can also mute/ blindfold participants throughout the activity.
- Instead of making groups start over when the chain is broken you can create penalties like blinding or muting a group member.
- How did it feel to be successful/ unsuccessful?
- How did it feel to be mute? Blind?
- What strategy did your team end up using to complete the task?
- Who were the leaders in this activity?
- Did the team reach consensus on a plan of action? What process did the team go through to reach consensus?
- How do you feel your team communicated during this activity?